My Beyond You Moment
- Laura shared her story of meeting a 13 year old panhandler on the streets of Manhattan in 1986. She and Maurice have been friends ever since. Here are some of the key thoughts from her story…
- We lived only 2 blocks apart but we came from 2 completely different worlds.
- I couldn’t possibly imagine what I could do to help him.
- We met for dinner every Monday for the first 4 years.
- My friends and family told me to be careful but I decided to follow my heart.
- The best way to find out if you can trust someone is to trust them.
- “Can I have my lunch in a brown paper bag? When kids come to school with their lunch in a brown paper bag, it means that someone loves them.”
- So often, the opportunities for a “Beyond You Moment” are right in front of us. We just have to open our eyes.
- Most importantly, what I taught Maurice was how to dream beyond the world he was in.
- Maurice is now 40 years old and married with 7 kids.
- Always remember, kindness can change lives.
Want to see other sessions from Leadercast 2014? You can find notes for all of them here.